Post Brexit (after 31st Jan 2020) advice for
Centura Group Employees
The information below is intended as guidance and may not represent the current legal position.
Please use the links provided to check the official Government advice and guidance. We will try and
update the guidance as more information becomes available.

Employees who don’t have a UK passport or are not British Citizens

The current advice on the UK Government website says:- There will be no change to the rights and status of EU citizens
currently living in the UK until 30 June 2021. You and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue
living in the UK.”

Anyone who is from an EU country i.e. an EU Citizen can apply for Settled Status – this used to be called “indefinite leave
to remain”. To be eligible to apply for Settled Status you need to have:-

• Valid passport from an EU Country
• Lived in the UK for 5 years

Currently there is no fee to apply for Settled Status and it’s a fairly simple process and you do not need a lawyer.


If you haven’t lived in the UK for 5 years, providing you are in the UK before 31st Dec 2020 you will need to apply
for Pre-Settled Status using the same link as detailed above which confirms the same rights as Settled Status and
then you can apply for Settled Status once you have lived in the UK for more than 5 years.

Citizens from outside of the EU can also apply using this process although some of the checks might be different.

Once you have Settled Status you can: -

• Stay in the UK indefinitely
• Continue to work in the UK
• Use the NHS
• Use the Education system
• Access the Benefits system
• Travel in and out of the UK

Although it isn’t a legal requirement to have Settled Status, there is a chance that some organisations will start to ask for
proof and we would recommend that all Employees with EU Citizenship apply asap.

EU citizens driving in the UK

The Company requires all Employees who drive for business to hold a valid UK licence and there is a licence exchange
system for most EU countries.

UK Citizens travelling to EU Countries

Advice can be found at

Things to consider:-

• Passports. Your current UK passport will still be valid in the EU and generally in Europe, UK Citizens will not require a
visa. Ireland does not require a passport for UK Citizens, but Airlines and Ferry Companies may insist upon it.

• European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) the intention is that this will remain valid unless we leave without a deal.

• Driving licences, generally International Driving Permits (IDP’s) will be required for most EU countries (although not
Ireland). However, the rules do vary from Country to Country. The IDP will be required in addition to your UK licence.
IDP’s can be obtained through your local Post Office and cost £5.50, check which IDP you need, there are 3 types.

• Vehicle Insurance. Your insurance will no longer automatically cover you for the EU and you need to request a
Green Card from your insurance Companies. You will need to take a hard copy as some countries do not accept digital

• You will need a GB sticker on your car, the EU number plates may not be enough.

• If you need to take your Company Vehicle abroad (Including Ireland) for any reason please contact Andy Slight.